Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy birthday POF blog - you're 0!

Welcome!

First, I should introduce myself. My name is Kristen Adamson, I'm 20 years old and I was recently diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (about 1 month ago). I'm guessing, if you're reading this blog, that you either have POF, know someone who has it, or think you may have it... but I will tell you what it is anyways.

What is POF?

POF is a term used to describe a stop in the normal functioning of ovaries in women under the age of 40.

POF also known as POI (Premature Ovarian Insufficiency) is most commonly referred to as “Premature Menopause” because fertility levels decline significantly and menstrual cycles become irregular before the age of 40.

However the term “Premature Menopause” is incorrect. Women who have gone through natural menopause will rarely ever experience a natural period – but a woman with POF is much more likely. Similarly, women experiencing menopause have virtually no chance of conceiving naturally, but a women with POF has a 5%-10% chance.

For those of you who have it, I'm sure you can relate when I say it can be rather emotionally exhausting. What people fail to realize is that POF is not just an infertility issue, it is an emotional and physical issue as well.

Emotionally it has made me feel less of a women (at times) and quite frankly....useless. Sometimes I feel like crying and other times I feel angry or jealous - that doesn't even include the emotional mood swings that POF has blessed me with.

Physically, it makes me tired, it can weaken my bones and it can cause breakouts, dry skin etc. Overall though, i think i'm taking my diagnosis well. What I keep reminding myself is that everything happens for a reason....maybe i'm meant to adopt or maybe i'm meant to help spread the word about POF.

Who knows...?

K.

No comments:

Post a Comment