Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Don't let anything stand in your way!

These past few days have been difficult. I've been feeling really frustrated but for no particular reason. So I’m guessing its hormones...what a pain.

 
I can't wait to begin getting some sort of treatment for my hormones and symptoms. Right now, I'm not on any hormone replacement therapy (HRT) because I'm waiting to see a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) - whom I was referred to by my gynecologist. Unfortunately, this office - Isis Fertility Center- feels that my 'situation' isn't as 'pressing' as others because I’m young so 'it's not a fertility issue'.

Can you believe it? In my mind, there are several problems with this:


1) Its outrageous for them to assume that just because I’m 20 I'm not thinking about children. I'm in a VERY different situation then most women my age and when you find out you have a 5-10% chance of conceiving naturally and your odds are only declining with age...THE SITUATION CHANGES!


2) Whether my 'situation' is more 'pressing than another woman is none of the receptionists business. Nor is the reason why I’m going to see this doctor - can you believe she asked me "is this a gynecological issue or a fertility issue" - NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! WHY DOES IT MATTER?


3) Obviously this receptionist doesn't understand what POF is. In fact, my situation is more 'pressing' then most women out there. Why? Because I’m 20, and the age in which your bones stop growing is 21. That combined with the fact that I am at EXTREMLY high risk of osteoporosis from POF, combined with the fact that I haven't been on HRT for 6 months, combined with the fact that 2 years ago I was hit by a car while crossing the street (and I'm still recovering) HUGELY increases my risk of osteoporosis. So yes, it is a pressing need...I don't want to break my bones from a simple fall!!!!

As you can tell, this receptionist has made my "experience" terrible so far. My solution? Go to a walk in doctor and begin requesting the tests I feel I need...and stop waiting around. So that's what I did. 

 
Yesterday I went to the walk in doctor about my EXTREMLY itchy feet and hands (which I think is from lack of hormones) and while I was there I requested that she "throw in a Karyotype" (a blood test used to evaluate my genes - it will look for any abnormalities such as Fragile X syndrome which may have caused my POF). From all of my research, I know I have to rule out a genetic problem first before I can move forward. So, why wait? This way, when I do eventually get in to see an RE I will have a bunch of blood work already done.

Anyways, if there is anything I've learned from this it's that you have to keep pushing - after all, if I hadn't pushed for my diagnosis I probably would still be clueless.

Hopefull & positive,
K.

No comments:

Post a Comment